Other places (4 of 7)
> Other places
— Next photograph
A huge supermarket in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
For what initially looks like quite a dull picture there’s a lot going on that makes me like it very much:
- There’s a bird’s nest in the & between -op and Shop.
- The sign in the dead centre of the picture reads ”$50 fine”, with no indication of what for. I’d guess it’s parking, but part of me would like to imagine it might be photography.
- The plants look so out of place, like they might have just landed from another planet; also there’s prices on the right of the picture for other plants, which aren’t in evidence. Either they’ve gone back to the planet they came from, been bought, or died in the oppressive heat.
- There’s also the abandoned drink. I imagine it was left by someone waiting to get picked up. Probably the person doing the collecting parked in the “No parking” area, of which the N is just visible on the right.
- I like the fact that under the shelf the plants are on, you can see things, but can’t make out what they are. Mystery…
- Lastly, the trail of drips from a car’s air-conditioning system (along the bottom of the picture) always reminds me of how hot it was, and how almost painfully cool the air-con made it.
Even after I’ve explained all that, most people still think it’s a pretty dull picture. Benefits from being big this picture.